Helping Victims Understand Uninsured And Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Even though Wisconsin motorists are supposed to carry liability insurance, sadly not all of them do. However, if you are injured in a traffic accident caused by a driver who has no insurance ― or merely not enough insurance ― you may still be protected under your own insurance policy so long as it provides for uninsured and underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage.

At Averbeck, Hammer & Slavin, S.C., our legal professionals possess the skill and knowledge necessary to help guide you when you find yourself dealing with complicated UM/UIM claims. Regardless of whether your case is resolved through negotiation or trial, we will do everything possible to help ensure you obtain fair compensation. You should not have to suffer simply because an uninsured motorist injured you.

When Can I File A UM/UIM Claim?

If you have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, you can generally make a claim against your own insurance company if you are injured in a car accident caused by a driver who has insufficient, or non-existent, insurance coverage.

For instance, if the at-fault driver only has $25,000 in coverage, but you suffer $50,000 in damages and medical expenses, your UM/UIM coverage should be able to make up the difference. This type of coverage is also helpful when the at-fault driver cannot be identified, such as in accidents involving hit-and-run drivers.

Unfortunately, insurance companies are not always cooperative and easy to work with when you file an UM/UIM claim. After all, they are businesses, meaning they are motivated to pay out as little as possible in order to bolster their bottom line. This is when an experienced uninsured-underinsured motorist attorney can help you seek fair compensation to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

Personalized Legal Guidance You Can Trust

If you have legal questions concerning your uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, contact Averbeck, Hammer & Slavin, S.C., to speak with an experienced lawyer today. With an office located in the City of Fond du Lac, we serve clients throughout Fond du Lac County as well as those living in Dodge and Washington counties, and the surrounding areas. Reach out to us online or call us at 920-923-2220. We offer FREE initial consultations for personal injury cases.